Tuesday, August 7, 2007

What God is doing in your life/in person out of sight

So, the other week I found an Emergent Church group. I read the description and it said they focus on something like "politics and activism". I emailed the owner of the group to see how that was considered a church. He said it was not considered a church but like a program of a church. I didn't know that so I asked what God was doing in the Emergent Church from what he observed. If someone asked you what was happening in your own church what would you say? This leader asked me why I was asking him. For over 1,000 words of his later and 3,000 words of mine, he still would not tell me. Now he says he is going to tell me by phone.


That brings me to a second point, people are different when they are online than they are in person. I love the internet, but I can't imagine someone speaking 1,000 words refusing to tell what God is doing. The conversation in real life would end before that or the person would be compelled to say something. I find for myself, it is easy to say something online boldly than it is to do it in person with someone you know. This is very valuable, but at the same time, we have to be careful. It is too easy to think the same with people you already know and divide friendships and relationships through things typed.

Questions;

What if someone asked you what God was doing in your life/church? What would you tell them? Is there any fear for you in answering that question?

How are you different online than you are in person? Can you not imagine saying something to someones face that you have no problem typing? Is that freedom a good thing or a bad thing for you and your personality?

No comments: